As a Christian school, we hold to the ecumenical* central doctrines of historic Western Christian churches (both Roman Catholic and Protestant) believing in the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed adopted by the Second Ecumenical Council in AD 381 as the School’s primary doctrine. The Creed is accepted internationally by the Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, Oriental Orthodoxy, the Church of the East, and much of Protestantism including the Anglican communion. Cherokee Classical Christian’s Statement of Faith:
Statement of Faith:
1. We believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
2. We believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, born of the Father before all ages, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made.
3. For us men, and for our salvation, he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
4. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried, and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures.
5. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
6. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.
7. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through prophets.
8. We believe in one, holy catholic** and apostolic Church.
9. We confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and
10. We look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.
*The word "catholic" in the Statement of Faith refers not to the Roman Catholic Church, but to the universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Statement of Faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible is the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind along with Church Traditions (2 Thess 2:15; John 20:29-31; John 21:23-25). In our community churches the Protestant Bible has 66 books, and the Roman Catholic Bible has 73 books, but both share the same 39 Old Testament books and the 27 New Testament books. The Bible shares 5 Old Testament books with the Jewish Torah: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. For the purposes of Cherokee Classical Christian School’s doctrine, faith, practice, behavioral standards, policy, and discipline, our Board is the final interpretive authority on the Bible’s application. Statement of Faith is to be inclusive of the Statement on Sanctity of Life, Marriage, and Sexuality.
STATEMENT ON SANCTITY OF LIFE, MARRIAGE, AND SEXUALITY
1. We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is
of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the
physically and mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception
through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human
life (Gen 1:26-27, 5:1; Ps 139:13-16; Ex 20:13; Ps 127:3).
2. We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female.
These two distinct, complimentary sexes together reflect the image and nature of God (Gen 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is the rejection of the image of God within that person (Ps 139:13). We will at all times interact with members of the school community according to their biological sex. Cherokee Classical Christian School encourages individuals struggling with their sexual identity to seek help from their pastor and other trained professionals who might assist them to clarify their sexual identity in accordance with God’s Word.
3. We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and
one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture (Gen 2:18-25). We believe that marriage between one man and one woman, for life, uniquely reflects Christ’s relationship with His Church (Eph 5:21-33). We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4). We believe that God commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of marriage between a man and a woman (Lev 20:10).
4. We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication,
homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is
contrary to the Bible’s teaching, is sinful, and offensive to God (Rom 12:1-2; I Cor 6:9-20; Eph 4:1-11, 5:1-7; I Thess 4:3-8; I Tim 4:12; II Tim 2:19-22; I Pet 1:15-16, 2:15-17; Lev 20:10-17).
5. We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and
dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31) and assist those we love in doing the same (Eph 4:15). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are not allowed, are to be repudiated, and are not in accord with Scripture and the beliefs of Cherokee Classical Christian.
6. We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of Cherokee Classical Christian as a Christian school under the authority of the Scriptures, and to provide a biblical role model to our students and school community, it is imperative that all persons employed
by Cherokee Classical Christian in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers in any capacity, agree to and abide with unreserved acceptance to the Statement of Faith and the Statement on Sanctity of Life, Marriage, and Sexuality (Matt 5:16, Phil 2:14-16, 1 Thess 5:22).
Like most independent schools, tuition and fees do not cover the total cost of educating your student, and so additional financial support from all members of the Cherokee Classical community is key. And, as is the case with other independent schools, Cherokee Classical Christian School solicits tax-deductible gifts and special financial support from its constituencies.